I am filled with rage...

My photo
I am a 23-year-old and recent college graduate. I have a Bachelors degree in Womans Studies--which means grad school!! I'll go into the counseling/therapy field in some capacity, whether it be high school guidance, marriage and family therapy, or sex therapy.

Thursday, October 1

Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho, It's Back To Work I Go!!

[Written September 30 on Google Docs]

Hooray! I got me a new job! And it's as a receptionist still, so I don't have to change the name of this blog. Without getting too specific, I can tell you a little bit about the new company I work for.

First of all, it's FRIGGIN HUGE! Well, technically the office I work at is only about 150 people, but they are spread out across 2 ginormous buildings and I am all alone in the front lobby. The last two places I was a receptionist at had no more than 50 people in the office, and especially at the last place, I had a ton of interaction with my coworkers. My tasks so far include very little interpersonal relations. I think once I get an email account things will pick up.

The company has at least one more office in California and presumably offices on the east coast as well. My next task is to read up on the company in the little booklet they gave me. They sell their products and services to companies across the country, so it's a pretty big deal. Between the two buildings there is product assembly, sales, accounts, tech support, accounts, and all the other business necessities: president/CEO, HR, etc. And there are break rooms with vending machines everywhere. I'm pretty excited to see what lunch is like, and meet some people.

I'm pretty stoked because it seems like they are not that dependent on their phone system. I'm allowed to leave the desk to use the restroom at my leisure, I don't have to get someone to cover or worry about the calls not getting picked up. My boss even told me that I could wander around today and meet people. Weird. Cool, but weird. I'm used to being the hub of activity. In the hour-and-a-half that I was answering the phones on my own yesterday, I got three calls, and one of them was from my boss checking on me.

I should probably tell you how I got the job in the first place, huh? Well I was just getting into my usual routine yesterday afternoon (wake up at 10:30, maybe eat something by noon, watch a few episodes of Mad Men...) and I got a phone call around 1pm. It was one of my staffing agencies (my favorite of the three I'm signed up with, actually) letting me know that they had a position I might be interested in, a receptionist, where it was, good pay, etc. Then she said, "But they need you this afternoon. What time do you think you can be there?" First of all, I wasn't super familiar with the part of the county she mentioned, and I still had to shower and put myself together. "Uh...2:00 or a little after?"

"Ok I'll call and check with them and then I'll call you right back." As soon as I hung up the phone, I scrambled into my room, hunting for an outfit. I haven't been to work in almost two months and I had completely forgotten what I used to wear. Not to mention I have no idea how "professional" I'd need to look. Having watched Mad Men obsessively for the past couple weeks, I settled on a dress and pumps. (I also made a mental note to buy a few more dresses because Peggy and Joan are so adorable!) Within minutes I got another call, confirming that 2:00/2:30 would be just fine. Staffing Agency Lady would send me an email with the company address and the name of the woman in HR that I would be asking for. I ran into the bathroom, bouncing off the walls as much as possible to relieve my nervous energy. I know how I can get, and I don't need to showing up to this place acting like a total spaz.

I was out the door by twenty til and the lack of traffic at 2pm meant I could do a little bit of speeding, another stress-reliever. Once I got here, I was relieved to see the dress was a little more relaxed like my last company. I came into a pretty unsettled situation, not awkward-unsettled, but it seemed they just needed to stop, breathe, and get their heads on straight. I don't think my predecessor left the company in a positive way. *Irregardless*, I got a good vibe from the woman training me (she was the receptionist a few years back, and has since advanced through the company) and it seems to be a positive working environment. I also noticed lots of diversity in ethnicities, always a positive thing to see in a company. I later read in their Welcome booklet that diversity is an important value of the company culture. Always a good thing to hear!

So now I am learning more of the ropes. And I got my sweet little name badge that also allows access to the building 24/7...so I can actually get here a few minutes early tomorrow and get myself situated.

No comments:

Post a Comment